LFRD is proud to offer a strong sports programme. Descartes Sport, which combines physical and sport education (PE) and the sport association (AS), has taken a central role in the lycée’s educational core.
LFRD campus houses a brand-new swimming pool, one gymnasium, and two sports fields. In addition to the state-of-the-art home facility, we strive to get as many pupils involved as possible. Over the past few years our teams have won more and more championships at both national and international level.
The objective of these teachings is to respect the requirements of the programs of the French education system, but also to put forward a high level of excellence.
Physical and sport education (PE) is a compulsory subject and prepares the students to the Brevet des collèges (DNB) and Baccalaureate. Pupils discover during their schooling all sort of activities.
In addition LFRD offers pupils two options :
- Sport Sections which offer students the possibility to benefit from, further training in their chosen activity. The sport sections offered at Lycée Descartes are Rugby/weight lifting or swimming / weight lifting.
- Sport Association (AS) : Offers students who register the opportunity to increase their knowledge and discover sports, and is also a gateway to activities outside the school. At Lycée Descartes, we offer swimming, volley-ball- Handball – rugby– soccer- basket-ball, …
The objective of our extremely popular sport association is threefold:
- To participate in matches and tournaments through local, regional and international competitions.
- To receive basic referee training courses.
- To give every pupil the opportunity to participate in a variety of noncompetitive sports.
Above all Descartes sport embraces an approach that brings together the whole school and seeks to instill the importance of good sportsmanship and teamwork through sports events like the Mekong Cup, the Descarthlon or « les Nuits du Sport ».
At Lycée Descartes we strongly believe that participation in sports fosters RESPECT for others and for oneself, PERSEVERANCE, LEADERSHIP and TEAMWORK, all vitally important life skills.